Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Maine Stage

First of all, a shout out to my sister, Amy, whose only response to my blog thus far has been, "You look a lot like mom in that one picture." Thanks, Aim :)

Since my last entry I managed another whole lobster. This time I got to see the little guy from start to finish. If you're a Vegan or an animal activist, please skip ahead. At this particular lobster pound, you go in, ask for a particular size lobster (two pounds, please) and they open up a chest full of live and kickin' lobsters. One of the contestants goes onto a scale and then into a bag which heads out to the boilers. So you really get to bond with your meal before you see it go. About 20 minutes later, you have a bright red, fully cooked animal on a tray in front of you. Now, the last lobster I ate was cut down the middle and grilled. This one was fully intact, requiring a lot of dismantling. If lobster wasn't so good, it may have been more disturbing to find that my particular catch was in fact a lady. Yep, when I pulled off her tail, I came across many generations of unborn lobster homes. My internet research informs me that a one pound female carries on average 8,000 eggs. Mine was two pounds, so I can assume that there were 5 million eggs. That's what it looked like. I carefully avoided them, and went on to enjoy the barbarian act of eating an animal whole. I'm done with whole lobsters for this trip. But I'm glad I did it.

Ok...on to what I'm really here for. Improv! I know I've said relatively little regarding my actual tour of duty. Well....it's fun! The shows are very different from anything I've done before, not to mention I've never done shows twice a night for three weeks straight. It's been great to exercise that muscle. Jen is a ridiculously funny and smart improvisor and Larrance is an awesome musician. Sarah cracks me up constantly, Sam is full of surprises and Farrell always knows what the audience wants. So in short, I'm having a great time playing here. It's also been really fun getting to know the bartenders and servers and friends of the theatre. If there are better ways to spend a summer, I don't know about them. And I'll thank you not to tell me.

2 comments:

Walking Into Pictures said...

I'm enjoying these Maine puns. You really MAINE-age to keep me laughing!




I'm sorry.

Walking Into Pictures said...

please delete one of those comments, Natalie. Posting the same comment twice seems a little MAINE-aical.