Sunday, November 30, 2008

Return of Saturn

I'm 28.

One year ago I wrote a blog aboard the NCL Spirit "on the eve of my 27th year." That day was unique...it was my first, and possibly only, birthday spent living on a cruise ship. Here we are a year later, and I write again from a bed in front of a TV in something very much like my ship cabin, a studio apartment. My 27th year has turned out to be the hardest, worst, most challenging, most exciting, most fun, best, saddest, happiest and craziest year of my life so far. I've been in and out of Chicago, which has made me love it that much more. It's always been good to come home. I got to see my family a couple of times, which is as at least once more than I tend to see them in a year. Some relationships have ended, some have begun, some have evolved to a place I would've never expected. I'm working as an actor now, and while I don't know how long I can keep eating and paying rent this way, it has not escaped me how blessed I am that I am doing something that I care about more than anything else. Most people don't get to say that their work is also their life, and maybe they don't want to. But I can, and I do. The one thing that has really changed this year is that I don't have one person to go to anymore. Since I was 15 years old, I have always had that one person. That person you tell stupid things to, say goodnight to, think of when you wake up, yell at because you know they'll understand and forgive. That person is gone. But I've been understudying the role. My put-ins have been rough, but I'm getting better.

Here's to my 28th year.

No comments: