Sunday, December 7, 2008

Time Out

Blogging happens when I should be doing more pressing things. Tonight that thing is learning my lines. I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'll comment on my great weekend. Friday: The Violet Hour. If you live in Chicago, you should take the time to jaunt out to Wicker Park and experience this place. It's beautiful and blue and dim and warm and pretentious and expensive...all of which make me very happy in moderation. So maybe that's not the glowing review that will motivate you to go, but do yourself a favor one night. It's near the corner of Damen and Milwaukee. Tracey and Megan took Meredith and I there for a belated birthday celebration. It was nice to be back with these ladies, since our respective careers keep us apart so often. Also, we got to sit next to a creepy guy who was there alone and eventually struck up a conversation with a couple near us about how he would be hitting a strip club (alone) later. Charming.

Saturday was shows and more shows. CSz 4 Kidz and the 10pm show, both of which were adequate (not the best descriptor, but there it is). I saw Listen Kid at the Skybox, starring the incomparable Jon Colby and Tamara Nolte. I could've watched Tamara dance in a wheel chair all night long. The night was capped by the best Karl show I have ever played in. It was seriously some of the most fun I've had on that stage in general, which is saying a lot. I'm very thankful that these guys invite me to play...you know, when the shows go well. Jokes!

Today, another CSz show and lunch with the lovely Gillian B. It truly is nice to be home.

A note on being unemployed, especially this time of year: I barely know what day it is, except that the weekends are painfully crowd-ridden. I've really learned to appreciate the blessing of weekdays. No crowded stores, no wait for brunch, less people on the train between rush hours. Monday has become my favorite day of the week. Some of you hate me for saying that. But you can hate me all you like while you swim in paychecks and health insurance all Scrooge McDuck-style. Our grasses are different shades of green.

No comments: