Sunday, December 14, 2008

Immaterial

Christmas, right?

Last year I was on the ship, which clearly made things weird for Christmas tradition. I found my way around it and managed to eek out some ritual. This year for many reasons I just don't feel like participating in any Christmas traditions. Reasons I am comfortable sharing:



  • I live in a studio that will not accomodate a three-dimensional tree.

  • I am day-jobless, so I don't want to spend money on temporary items.

  • I have enough stuff in my tiny space already without a bunch of red and green crap.

  • I have less than the secular holiday spirit (see above "red and green crap").

An ex-bf of mine liked to point out that I am materialistic. Yes, I idenitify alot with things. Advent calendars and wreaths and trees equal Christmas. Baskets and bunnies equal Easter. Stargazer lilies equal love. I moved so much growing up and never had a real "home" that the things became the only constants. Yeah, yeah, my family too...but to a transient 9 year old, a pink inflatable Easter bunny has a little more imprinting power. Of course as a grown up, I realize that as sure as the Grinch's heart grew three sizes, Christmas will come without ribbons, tags, packages, boxes or bags.


Doesn't mean I don't love this stuff.

Meredith and I had the best day ever at Williams-Sonoma and Trader Joe's. I'll be baking this week. Happy holidays, everyone.

No comments: