Monday, July 28, 2008

Nicole, Madeline, whatever.

People tend to forget my name after they've meet me. This brings me to the conclusion that I'm either forgettable or MAGIC. Yes, magic...I enamor people to the point of brain damage, where my name is unable to be stored and practiced in their short term memory for later installation to long term. That's what I'll choose to believe. OR...it's because my name cruises right down the middle of the road. It's not the most common and not at all weird. It's also three syllables, which is difficult for anyone to remember (unless those 3 syllables are Jenn-i-fer or Chris-ti-na...stupid common girl names). This phenomenon has occured an ego-crushing THREE times onstage during shows, once this past weekend with my climbing instructor, and over a period of time where I really disliked a fellow improvisor because of it. The poor guy got the silent treatment from me for a long time because after months of being fairly regular acquaintances he blanked on my name at a party. He eventually won a place back in my good graces, but boy it took a long time. I'm a real jerk when it comes to this stuff...and at the same time I am just awful with names. Which is probably why I take it so hard. Projecting my weaknesses on others and such. I guess I notice the pattern all the more because having your name known is so important in this stage business of ours. And for an actor, I'm a bit shy. My solution: wearing a necklace/t-shirt/trendy wristband with my name on it. People associate my name with my face with no effort on my part. Solved!

In the spirit of psychological journeys...I went to Borders this weekend to purchase a self-help book at the prompting of my mother (which one? I'm not telling), and in my perusal I found this gem.

P.S. Cat's out of the bag...my nom de plume is David J. Lieberman.

2 comments:

Lindberg said...

I forgot it! I then I got to kiss you later...so...yeah...

Seriously I'll stop...

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to have a cool name... but I got stuck with a dull one syllable name... which is why I chose "Liam" as my pseudonym... Liam is a much cooler name than my real one.

As for being forgotten... People use to call me the Ghost... because I'd be out of work on vacation and I'd send out an email saying "I'm back!" people would reply with "I didn't realize you were gone..." Gee thanks.