Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Year Ago Today

I started my ship blog on September 25, 2007, 12 days before I left. I can't believe it's been a year. Also kind of odd...I was offered the Novi thing exactly a year after I was offered the ship and will be opening the show exactly a year after I boarded the ship. Timing.

I've noticed a pattern since college, and it is this: great things tend to arise for me in the fall and stressful life changes tend to arise in the spring. All of my big positive opportunities have come August-October and all of my break-ups/"road blocks" have occurred February-April. I have yet to know what this means, but it's become more and more clear in the five years since I came to Chicago and began my adult life. This generates a morbid curiosity for what is to come in spring '09. There's no break up to be had, so what WILL happen? Who's the next contestant on Who Wants to Be My Future Ex? I pray not a real tragedy. Am I tempting fate by joking about it...?

So what have I learned in the year since I began this blogging journey? Well...a few things.
  • I'll only go back on a boat if it's headed to Europe.
  • Patience is truly a virtue. That's not just a cute saying.
  • I am really grateful to my parents for moving a lot. I was inadvertantly training for my future.
  • Fall in New England + Winter in New Orleans + the remainder of time on a cruise = about 15 pounds.
  • Living by myself means a lot of talking to the TV. Frasier and Alton Brown are my new BFFs.
  • If someone or something could take me or leave me, I should be the one to do the leaving.

Happy Anniversary, me.

No comments: