Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tour #2: Iowa City

This was the most exciting thing to see on the road to Iowa.  Lots of farms, lots of cows and then the World's Largest Truckstop.  Good thing the inside of the van was fun-filled.

And I also had work to do.
Dana and I enjoy being celebrities beneath our marquee.  The theatre was great and the audiences were awesome.  We had two really fun shows for the college kids and locals.  There was, for whatever reason, a dinosaur theme running through our sets.  At least for me personally. 
Julie Nichols, a former Johnny's Regret MD and general music extraordinaire, joined us for this trip.  No Bryan, we didn't forget you.  But it was fun to have an extra girl in our dressing room. 

I took advantage of our free day preshow on Saturday to visit the Newman Center on campus and attend the 4:30 vigil mass.  The priest was young, hip and funny, as college campus priests tend to be.  He told a great story about being young and proud and being humbled by taking a tumble down a hill while trying to impress a girl.  A homily on humility was a highly appropriate thing for me to hear in the midst of two nights of standing ovations.  We get to be rockstars on the road, but in the end, I have to know how fortunate and blessed I am to be doing any of this. 


And I sure am lucky to be doing it with these guys. 

I was quickly reminded about show disparity when we performed a homeshow for 8 people last night. Ok, not 8, but maybe 65, which in the Second City mainstage is like performing into a empty cave.  The audience was great and appreciative, and I think we did an admirable job.  But it sure is a change from the throngs of screaming college town kids.  But hey, I did get asked for my autograph last night for the second week in a row. 

Humility!

No comments: