Sunday, March 16, 2008

This Weekend Was...

...the weirdest in recorded history. Or at least since I got back from the ship, which I feel like is all of recorded history. So there it is.

Welcome back to Chicago for the weekend, Andrew! OK, stop talking politics for 5 seconds...


Meredith and Abby can be summed up by...


Tamara's and my last few weeks can be summed up by...


And finally, Lent is nearly over. Hello, Palm Sunday...


I love Palm Sunday. It is my favorite mass of the year running VERY close to Easter vigil. I think my fondness for the day has a lot to do with my churches growing up. A lot of them went the congregation participation route with the Passion gospel, and there was this dramatic thrill I got as a theatre-loving child to be given a line in the mass. Even if that line was "Crucify him!" Either way, even as a child, I appreciated how poetic it was for the church congregation to assume the role of the angry mob calling for Jesus' crucifixion. There was a church I went to in Vicksburg, MS that had a unique Good Friday tradition. Each person was to take a nail and drop it at the foot of the cross when you went to genuflect. No one ever accused Catholics of not being morbid or guilt ridden. Honestly, it's the rigidity of the Catholic church in its principles that draws me in...I think because it's something I need in my life.

What sucked this weekend? Being sick. I was completely nonfunctional all of Saturday and much of today. Made it out for Andrew brunch and palm night at the stadium. Now I'm fighting with myself about doing laundry. The Not side is winning. Laaaaazy.

All in all, this weekend gets a C. High on friends, but also high on drama. Short story: I had a lot of praying to do in mass tonight. Bring on Holy Week...

No comments: