Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tour #9: Greeneville and Athens, TN

Back to TN.  I have to say, I was charmed by the Knoxville airport.  It had landscape! 

No denying it, Tennessee is beautiful, and the weather was amazing, which made it a tiny bit hard to board the plane home.  But in the end I always want to be back in Chicago.

It was the first tour with the all new RedCo.  Yay, Jessica!  She had her first show with us at last week's matinee.

Our trip to Greeneville involved a significant car ride from the airport.  And what does a car ride involve?
  
A trip to the Cracker Barrel!  I was so excited about sweet tea that I mindlessly took down a full glass long before our food arrived, forgetting for a moment that when I drink tea on an empty stomach, my stomach reacts by wanting to remain empty.  But I kept it down in time for my grilled chicken salad to arrive.  Good story, Natalie.

I may have actually thrown up, however, if I had eaten 6 of these like I wanted to.  Mrs. Sullivan's Pecan Pies???  You're right, I DO LUV PIE!  But I got out with a pack of Big League Chew.  Crisis averted.

After our southern diversion, we drove into town to check into the General Morgan Inn, one of the most delightful hotels I've ever been in.  My room featured a photo of Andrew Johnson and a small collection of encyclopedia-type books circa 1911.  It wasn't your standard Holiday Inn, is the point.
Derek and I found some treasures at a nearby antique store before our call time.  On the way into town we also saw this.
With all due respect, we are Red.

Anyway, the show was great and the set was fun, and we had done our first show on the road together as a full brand new Co.  We would've gone out to celebrate good times, but predictably everything around us had long since closed.  Good night.

The next day it was breakfast at the Chocolate Cafe (visit this place if you're in Greeneville, it's incredible) and then back on the road for a couple of hours.  Our Comfort Inn was quite welcoming.
Does this mean we're opening for the Youth Rodeo?

(Two very important elements not pictured: cinnamon rolls from breakfast that should be declared national monuments and the kickass water slide in our Comfort Inn pool)

Again, a successful show, although we did lose a few people at intermission.  Was it because it was late and they were old?  Was it because we were in the Bible Belt performing A.Bill and Sequel?  Well...it was a clean show.  We did our best.  We received nothing but praise from the venue and from the high school group who came to Q&A us after the show.  Here I am in the choir room green room.  What?  I didn't mention we did this show at Athens Junior High?  We sure did.  It seemed to be one of the only theatre venues in this small town.  But they were pretty good to us. 

We also got to meet the Shipman family.  And tonight we were partying...at Applebee's!  There was a headache in my future, but it didn't stop me from ordering TWO Cosmos.  I really went nuts.  And I had another Cracker Barrel experience to look forward to the next day, courtesy of the Shipmans. 

We had a later flight so we meandered back to Knoxville and enojoyed the college town hangout time. 
I scored some sweet potato butter (you heard me) and old timey candy from the General Mart and then we were off.  Oh wait...we also honored the Tennessee women's suffrage movement.

Our flight was delayed a bit coming back due to the stupid weather in Chicago.  But when I finally got back, I was greeted by a real treat.
Sarah's birthday trolley!!  It had been a long day, but when someone says, "we're coming to your place to pick you up in the trolley," you go with it.  The weather wasn't exactly what Sarah was hoping.
But it was still a good time.  Happy B, Sarah F!

And then I went to sleep. 

Next stop: Edmond, OK

1 comment:

Natalie said...

But have you seen our technicolor sweatshirts???