Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reach Out and Touch Faith

Mostly because I'm listening to Johnny Cash's cover of Personal Jesus right now. Man, that guy, huh? (Thanks, Wolfson, for this CD. You're getting it back tonight)

I won't bother to continually apologize for my lack of blog. Wait, did I just...? Regardless... it's suddenly Lent again. I feel like just yesterday I was receiving ashes in the Galaxy of the Stars lounge aboard the NCL Spirit. So each year I make some Lenten promises, sacrifices and intentions. The intentions this year are more nebulous than usual, but nonetheless, um, intentional. My sacrifice is pretty concrete: I'm giving up drinking for 40 days. It's not as though I drink regularly to excess, but the regularly part is true and I've decided it can only save me money, calories and dignity to lay off for a while.


As for intentions...well, the pattern I noticed of Natalie circa 2008 was excess. To "comfort" myself in the hard/lonely/confusing times of '08 I grew accustomed to never saying no to myself. So in the tradition of Lent in general, this will be a season of denial. Not arbitrary denial for the sake of it, but denial for the sake of health and patience and growth. In short: for Lent I'm giving up being spoiled.


Ash Wednesday is one of my favorite days on the liturgical calendar. It's the heading at the top of a clean slate.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Boy, you sure took more than your share of ashes. Nice start to stopping being spoiled, Nat.